Hiking is a great form of exercise. Those who do not have much experience hiking may just think it’s like walking, however, it is a lot more vigorous and requires more energy as you’re likely to come to steep hills and difficult pathways. This is why it is very important to prepare, and I’ll share a few tips on how to do just that!
- Prepare your route and try not to overestimate how far you can go. If you are a less experienced hiker, you may prefer to stick to routes that are well-known. Use a map to help you, and make sure to bring a compass with you on your hike.
- Start training. Hiking is a good cardiovascular activity that requires a lot of stamina, so it’s best to train yourself before-hand so you can go as far as you would like. Think of it as training for a marathon. You’ll have to go on shorter walks regularly before your big hike, and gradually increase the distance of your hike until you reach your goal.
- Another important part of preparation is packing your backpack. If you’re looking to buy a good hiking backpack Ireland, I recommend buying one from Basecamp.
- Once you’ve got yourself a backpack, you’ll want to make sure you pack it with everything you need, such as waterproofs if you won’t be wearing them already, food and water, a first-aid kit, and your navigation tools.
- Lastly, make sure you are wearing weather appropriate clothing, and most of all, shoes that protect your feet.
Good luck on your hike, and remember that preparing properly before-hand will make it a much more pleasant experience for you than if you don’t.